The Fulbright Program is the most prestigious programme of cultural, scientific and educational exchange developed by the United States around the world. It was started in 1946 at the initiative of Senator J. William Fulbright of Arkansas and is currently coordinated by the Office of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State.
Romania has participated in these bilateral exchanges since 1960, administered by the US Embassy in Bucharest until 1993.
The Fulbright Programme is administered by the Romanian-American Fulbright Commission in Romania established in 1993. Romanian citizens are granted study and research scholarships in prestigious universities in the USA and to American citizens study and research scholarships at renowned Romanian universities.
• to encourage and promote scientific and educational exchanges
• to enhance mutual understanding between the USA and Romania, through educational and cultural exchanges, at academic level
• to provide advice on the study opportunities in the USA
Types of grants:
Grants administered by the Fulbright Commission in Romania for Romanian citizens:
- Junior Fulbright Award – Master or research grants at universities in the United States. The grant covers all educational fields except clinical medicine and is aimed at Romanian students in their final year, graduate, postgraduate, PhD and researchers.
- Senior Fulbright Award – addresses teachers, researchers and professionals from the public and private sectors in Romania, with doctoral degree or equivalent, interested in a research and teaching at prestigious universities in the United States. The grant covers all disciplines except clinical medicine.
- Science and Technology Award – doctoral fellowships in engineering, technology and sciences, at elite universities in the United States.
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship – scholarships for young managers in the public and private sectors in Romania to conduct professional development at elite universities in the United States.
- New Century Scholar Award – a global platform that brings together 25-30 year teachers, researchers and professionals in the US and other countries, including Romania. Participants are asked to contribute to a project of collaborative thinking and multidisciplinary research on a topic of significance and overall importance.
- Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program – addresses teachers employed full-time in high school, with teaching experience of at least 5 years in the fields of English language and literature, social sciences, history, geography, mathematics or science.
Grants administered by the Fulbright Commission in Romania for US citizens are:
- Fulbright Junior Award
- Fulbright Senior Award
- Senior Specialist programme
Details can be obtained from the Fulbright Romania Comission – U.S.A.
Str. Ing. Nicolae Costinescu no. 2, Sector 1, Bucureşti
Tel.: +4021 231 5500, +4021 230 7719
Fax: +4021 230 7738