The University Senate – Overview
The University Senate is the highest decision-making and deliberative body of the University of Craiova
The University Senate ensures the representativeness of the academic community.
The University Senate may be summoned by the Rector or upon request by at least a third of the members.
The Vice-rectors and Deans participate in the meetings of the University Senate as elected members or permanent guests, as the case may be.
The representatives of the university unions, other university staff or other individuals may participate in the meetings of the University Senate, as guests of the Senate President.
Competences of the University Senate:
- drafting and adoption of the University Charter, following debates within the university community;
- approval of the structure, organisation and operation of the University, following the Rector’s proposal, in compliance with the legislation in force;
- approval of the institutional development strategic plan and the annual operative plans, at the Rector’s proposal;
- approval of the budget scheme and budget execution;
- concluding the management contract with the Rector;
- monitoring the activity of the Rector and of the Administrative Council by means of committees;
- guaranteeing academic freedom and university autonomy;
- drafting and approval of the Quality Assurance Code;
- drafting and approval of the University Ethics and Deontology Code;
- adoption of the University Code of Students’ Rights and Obligations;
- approval of the methodologies and regulations on the University’s organisation and operation;
- validation of public competitions for positions with the University Administrative Council;
- approval of the competition methodology and the results of competitions for the employment of teaching and research staff;
- approval of penalties in relation to low performance staff, following the Rector’s proposal, on the basis of its own methodology and the legislation in force;
- approval of part-time employment contracts with retired teaching staff, following the proposal of faculties and with the Rector’s approval;
- awards of honorary titles, following the written proposal of the Faculty Councils;
- approval of faculty proposals for doctoral schools and doctoral schools supervisors;
- approval of faculty proposals of candidates for national academic committees and agencies;
- approval of the guidelines for the granting of student scholarships;
- approval of tuition fees, in compliance with the legislation in force;
- establishment of national and international academic cooperation and approval of cooperation agreements;
- any other competences resulting from the law of education.
The University Senate undertakes plenary work and committee work.
The committees of the University Senate and their competences shall be approved by the University Senate in plenary session, following the proposal of the President.